We are excited to hear from you and have a chance to meet you!
Please complete our application including the Education and Employment History sections. Be sure to attach a resume.
888 SW Fifth Ave. Portland, OR 97204
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Portland’ s oldest and largest regional accounting firms. We are a group of CPAs who are committed to our clients and to each other. We have a rich and varied client base: large privately-held companies, small family-owned businesses, and high net-worth individuals. We specialize in industries such as real estate, auto dealerships, professional services, hospitality, and others.
We need bright, motivated and energetic people to help us continue our growth. We are currently looking for a Tax Manager who will be committed to our core values:
- Work with integrity and ethical values
- Communicate directly, openly and honestly
- Commit to long-term client and staff relationships
- Provide quality service
- Encourage continuous professional and personal growth
- Foster a fun and active environment
- Always be team-driven
- Be creative as well as innovative
- Exemplify a strong work ethic
The tax manager is responsible for the efficient, accurate, complete and timely preparation of all clients tax return for which they are responsible. Advanced technical skills in a variety of tax and accounting areas, along with well-developed and applied management and supervisory skills are required.
Candidates at this level are CPAs and typically have been managers for 2+ years. Candidates will be expected to:
- Learn and understand the firms policies and procedures in sufficient depth to train staff and senior accountants and determine compliance with the firms policies and procedures
- Possess technical knowledge sufficient to supervise staff and senior accountants on multiple engagements simultaneously, and evaluate their progress
- Have the skills necessary to develop and maintain quality client relationships
- Develop expertise in their assigned areas
- Plan, supervise and complete complex engagements
- Develop new client contacts and relationships beneficial to the firm
- Recognize opportunities to provide additional services to clients
- Assume responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to assure accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients tax returns
- Monitor client list and keep signer and client apprised of status
- Coordinate various planning phases and ensure work is on schedule
- Generate budgets and manage within budgetary and time constraints
- Prepare tax returns for more complex individual, trust, partnership and corporate tax clients
- Review and evaluate work papers and determine compliance with professional standards, firm policy, as well as tax compliance. Direct necessary revisions
- Lead staff and senior accountants to employ methods that will accomplish objectives in a timely manner
- Lead planning meetings with staff and senior accountants to establish budget guidelines and discuss pertinent issues related to client work
- Perform tax research
- Prepare BNA projections and become involved in client planning
- Review prior reports, financial statements and tax returns
- Prepare tax extensions and estimated tax payments
- Supervise, train and mentor staff and senior accountants.
- Be involved in practice development and supervision of multiple engagements
- Bill clients discuss fees and make collections calls when necessary
- Respond to inquiries from the IRS and other tax authorities.
- Review IRS notices prepared by other tax personnel.
- Maintain a good working relationship with clients to enhance client satisfaction and work with client management and staff at all levels to perform tax services
- Anticipate and address client concerns and escalating problems as they arise
- Initiate cross selling business to the accounting and assurance practice if applicable
- Promote new ideas and business solutions that result in extended services to existing clients
- Maintain knowledge of general economic and political trends of possible tax or other legislation that could affect the business climate
- Proactively interact with key client management to gather information, resolve tax related problems and make recommendations for business and process improvements
- Assist senior management on proposals and business development.
- Make associations to develop new business for the Firm and to maintain its professional image in the community. Take an active role in professional, civic, or charitable organizations
- Gain comprehensive understanding of client operations, processes and business objectives and utilize that knowledge for tax planning purposes
- Participate in recruiting efforts as needed.
- Attend professional development and training sessions on a regular basis.
- Additional duties as requested.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or a related field; advanced degree in tax is a plus
- Certified Public Accountant
- 5+ years experience in a public accounting firm, at least 1-2 years as a manager
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing priorities in fast paced results based team environment.
- Develops responsible, trained staff by assisting in recruiting, developing training aids, and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with professionals at all levels.
- Strong technical accounting skills with proficiency in federal, state and local tax laws and regulations.
- A proven record of building profitable, sustainable client relationships.
- Exceptional client service and communication skills with an ability to develop and maintain client relationships.
- Maintains contact with peers, develops network of business contacts, meets with prospective clients and cultivates referrals.
- Excellent research skills
- Strong understanding of the theory of taxation
- Command of pertinent IRC sections and regulations
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 4 weeks PTO per year, paid overtime, and very generous 401(K)/Profit Sharing contributions.