We are excited to hear from you and have a chance to meet you!
Please complete our application including the Education and Employment History sections. Be sure to attach a resume.
600 University Suite 2100 Seattle, Washington 98101
Job Description: Legal Assistant
Each person within our firm plays a crucial role in the success of our business and the outcome of our cases. The Legal Assistant position requires flexibility, excellent organizational abilities, the ability to be a self-starter and a can-do attitude. Actual duties will vary on a day-to-day basis and tasks will be varied, from routine to more complex. Multitasking is required, as the Legal Assistant will answer the main phone line in a professional and collected manner while performing other aspects of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of legal procedures and legal terminology.
Familiarity with medical terminology.
- Understanding of/experience with workers' compensation cases.
- Excellent spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills.
- Flexible and solutions-oriented. Ability to perform under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and writing skills. Honed sense of professionalism.
- Ability to work independently or with a team. Take and interpret instructions with little assistance.
- Understanding of basic business relationships and confidentiality principles.
- Proficiency in typing and advanced software functions.
- Strong clerical and administrative skills.
- Ability to coordinate work activities and self-direct with little supervision, juggling multiple assignments and competing priorities.
- Punctuality, dependability and reliability.
- Answers incoming phone line and directs calls to appropriate person or voicemail, taking hand written messages when necessary. Handles all telephone communications in a professional, collected, and personable manner.
- Manages/maintains paper and electronic files. Collect all loose filing and file on appropriate backers in case files. Establish new case files by sorting documents into proper categories
- Process outgoing mail by applying postage and ensuring timely transmittal of mail to mailroom or post office (when necessary). May require outdoor travel to post office.
- Prepare fax cover sheets and fax documents.
Make photocopies and scan documents.
- Review attorneys'/paralegals' calendars throughout the day to assist with meeting deadlines and ensuring appearance at events.
- Inputs information into case management software. Updates cases and contacts in database as new information becomes available. Seeks out new contact information if current info is outdated.
- Requests medical records and diagnostic studies, when appropriate. Follows up with doctor' s offices/medical facilities to ensure requests are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Schedules conferences and depositions, arranging for court reporter coverage and conference
room space. Confirms witness and court reporter attendance at depositions.
- Drafts letters and pleadings. Proofreads and finalizes letters and pleadings with an eye to detail.
- Prepares correspondence to clients to forward invoices for client costs (witness/consultation fees,
records prepayments, etc.). Follows-up with client when necessary to ensure timely payment for
services to maintain positive relationships with service providers.
- Keeps accurate records. Tracks billable time for completed work, postage and photocopying costs.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
Job Type: Full-time, contract to hire
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Job Location: Downtown Seattle