Welder - Journey level
JOB TITLE: Welder – Journey level
REPORTS TO: Commercial Weld Lead
SCHEDULE: Mon – Fri, 6: 00 am – 2: 30 pm
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for welding – per work order instructions – various parts, assemblies and projects. Weld various types of metal per AWS requirements and standards. Assist other weld teams as necessary in a cross functional environment.
- Set up weld equipment and correctly adjust weld parameters to requirements for each job.
- Set up and operate various types of weld equipment on a variety of metals.
- Read blue print and work order instructions to correctly produce parts.
- Create and submit machine/work set up sheets to include in production packets.
- Perform assigned work to time standards and quality expectations.
- Accurately account for time and work completed via online computer data collection system.
- Expedite priority work orders as required in cooperation with the Area Lead, Production Manager and Master Scheduler.
- Cooperate with the Sales team to interpret customer requests and perform feasibility analysis of proposed work.
- Assist other personnel in finding, routing and maintaining the material flow through the assigned work centers when necessary.
- Provide technical assistance to junior weld staff in process set up or equipment operation where necessary.
- Provide individual mentoring and skills enhancement training for welders.
- Make decisions and problem solve for routine welding issues.
- Safely operate a forklift to handle materials and completed work.
- Initiate quality control documents for materials, processes and parts production issues.
- Maintain assigned area equipment, report deficiencies to the maintenance team.
- Maintain personal/common work areas to established housekeeping expectations.
- Must have strong broad based welding knowledge background.
- Minimum 5 years weld experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the metal fabrication of parts and assemblies.
- Competent with dimensional measuring and use of precision measurement tools to produce first run parts.
- Successfully pass welder candidate skill tests.
- Experience with welding a variety of metals with different processes is highly desired.
- Demonstrated competency in shop math.
- Ability to read blueprints, weld symbols and other shop drawing aids.
- Ability to follow and apply work technical documents and Weld Procedures to perform AWS certified weld work.
- Experienced at material/parts rigging and handling with an overhead crane.
- Flexible and responsive with a strong teamwork orientation.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire to learn new skills and improve technical knowledge.
- Demonstrated proficiency at problem solving.
- Strong orientation toward quality, safety and continuous improvement.
- Ability to work well under pressure and use initiative to meet team expectations.
- Commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Ability to create, respond to and effectively implement process improvement.
- Understanding and support of Company policies and procedures.
- Safety conscious behavior.
- Excellent attendance.
- Lift, carry, push and or pull 1 – 50 lbs frequently.
- Squat/kneel, bend/stoop, twist/turn, grasp and reach overhead and outward frequently.
- Sit, stand and walk for 1 – 10 hours per day.
- Ability to work in a 55 – 85 degree Fahrenheit work environment.
- Work in a fast paced industrial environment wearing hearing protection, vision protection, hard hat, steel-toed shoes, and other appropriate protective welding gear.